FRESNO FLATS TOWNSITE
MONUMENT



FRESNO FLATS TOWNSITE 1856
FRESNO FLATS WAS A FARMING AND SUPPLY CENTER FOR THE MINING AND LUMBER INDUSTRIES. THE LOCAL BLACKSMITH WAS KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE AREA AS THE ONLY ONE ABLE TO FABRICATE AND REPAIR LARGE WHEELS. THE OLDEST STILL-OPERATING POST OFFICE IN MADERA COUNTY OPENED HERE IN 1874. TIRED OF HEARING "FRSNO FLATS, THAT'S WHERE CHARLIE ROBBED THE YOSEMITE STAGE!", MRS. C. MEYERS CIRCULATED A PETITION AMONG NEWCOMERS TO CHANGE THE NAME TO OAKHURST. WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT OF THE PIONEER FAMILIES IT BECAME OAKHURST IN 1912. THE DISGRUNTLED OLDTIMERS NICKNAMED IT "OH, CURSED!" THE OLD MISSOURI SALOON IS TO THE EAST AND THE BLACKSMITH BARN TO THE WEST.
DEDICATED BY E CLAMPUS VITUS GRUB GULCH CHAPTER 41-49 9/20/97