RAILROADS OF CHOWCHILLA
MONUMENT




RAILROADS OF CHOWCHILLA

SOUTHERN PACIFIC RAILROAD - BEFORE THE TOWNSITE WAS CREATED
THE TRAIN STOPPED AT MINTURN AND CHOWCHILLA WAS KNOWN AS
MC NEARS CROSSING. AFTER IT WAS FOUNDED THE COMPANY MOVED
THE TRAIN STATION TO A SPOT JUST NORTH OF ROBERTSON BLVD.
TWENTY PASSENGER TRAINS PASSED THIS STATION DAILY. WHEN
SHIPPING BY TRAIN WAS NO LONGER PRACTICED THE STATION WAS MOVED
TO ITS PRESENT LOCATION WHERE ITS USED AS THE VFW HAL POST 9896

CHOWCHILLA PACIFIC RAILROAD -THE 13 MILE CHOWCHILLA
PACIFIC RAILROAD WAS BUILT BY O.A.ROBERTSON IN 1913 & SERVED THE
AREA FOR 40 YEARS. HOUSEHOLD BELONGINGS, FARM STOCK AND
CHILDREN WERE ITS PRIMARY CARGO.THE HALL SCOTT COACH ALSO
KNOWN AS THE “CHOWCHILLA TERRIFC” HAD A SIX CYLINDER 150
HORSEPOWER ENGINE AND WEIGHED 76,000 POUNDS. HAD THE
RAILROAD BEEN IN OPERATION TODAY IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED ONE
OF THE SHORTEST OPERATING LINES IN THE NATION.

MONUMENT BUILT & DEDICATED BY
E CLAMPUS VITUS
GRUB GULCH CHAPTER 41-49
AUGUST 16TH 2003