As told by Jean Arrasmith, XNGH #1
Early history refers to Logtown (now Mariposa) as being the southern end of Veta Madre, (Mother Lode) the Mexican name given the area because of the rich quartz veins found there. Perhaps it was because until 1851, Mariposa County extended from the present northern border South to San Diego, Madera County did not exist until 1893. Therefore such places as Fresno Flats (now Oakhurst), Texas Flats (now Coarsegold) and Grub Gulch (now just a wide place in the road between Raymond and Ahwahnee) were seldom mentioned, but they contributed much to the history and wealth of California. The Gambetta Mine of Grub Gulch had its own stamp mill and it's reported that it produced many ounces of gold bars before it stopped operations because of flooding.
Grub Gulch had two Hotels, several saloons, stores, etc. and at times as many as 5000 miners. It was an important stage coach stop for tourists going to Yosemite or miners seeking the Mother Lode. A convenient route to these destinations was by train to Berenda, train to Raymond, and stagecoach for overnight stay at Grub Gulch. Many of the argonauts stopped here only to obtain enough gold for a grubstake to pay their way north to the richer fields. Hence the name "Grub Gulch".
Placer mining became uneconomical so many of the once golden areas turned into ghost towns. Grub Gulch disappeared entirely except for two prolific wildrose bushes. Neglected and unattended for many years, they insisted on survival.They became known as the Grub Gulch Rose. Clippings were taken from them by many rose fanciers. Between 1972 and 1974, both bushes had been vandalized, uprooted, and left to die. Fortunately we acquired five rootings from one of the originals from Elmer Tuschhoff, XNGH of Jim Savage Chapter and ex-Proctor of the Grand Council. The bush dedicated in Murphys, Ca. to Dr. Coke Wood is a direct descendant. The Grub Gulch Rose is our Chapter emblem and our Talisman.
|BACK TO HOME PAGE|